Your Hub for Popular Science, Nature Writing, and Nonfiction
Book reviews, author interviews, and more — curated by Sarah Olson
As a science writer, book reviewer, and bookstore professional, my mission is to spread science literacy by encouraging people to read more popular science books. Popular Science is a genre of nonfiction written for every kind of reader to enjoy. Here at my website, I share reviews and recommendations of books that I believe everyone can enjoy. These books aren’t technical or difficult to read — they are entertaining and educational stories about the most fascinating subjects our world has to offer.
You can also enter for a chance to win a free book every month by signing up for the Read More Science Book Club, a monthly newsletter. The newsletter is delivered at the end of every month and features science art and interviews with real scientists, and provides a quick preview of exciting new books in popular science.
Highlighting Diversity in Science
One of my goals is to connect readers with books by diverse authors — because representation matters. In addition to reviewing new releases, I am making a conscious effort to include lesser-known books by women, people of color, the disabled, and LGBTQIA+ in STEM. The next generation of readers need to have more science nonfiction written by authors from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, not just the big-name male authors. As the curator of the science and nature sections at an independent bookstore, I know all too well what it’s like to hunt around for books written by diverse authors. That’s why I want to help share and recommend them — to get their books in the hands of readers like you.
Are you interested in writing a book review, offer your book for a giveaway, or be featured in an interview? You can get in touch with me at email@example.com, or through the form on the Contact page, where you can find more information about opportunities to get involved.
Support Science Literacy
Reading books, writing reviews, interviewing authors and hosting book giveaways is all done during my spare time – and on my own budget. You can support my mission by donating through my Ko-Fi page. It’s like buying me a coffee as a quick thank-you. If you make a donation, let me know and I’ll see about mailing you one of the Read More Science bookmarks!
Book Reviews by Title
- Never Home Alone, Rob Dunn
- Hello World, Hannah Fry
- Gods and Robots, Adrienne Mayor
- Turned On, Kate Devlin
- Poached, Rachel Love Nuwer
- Inventing Ourselves, Sarah-Jayne Blakemore
- The Woman Who Knew Too Much, Gayle Green
- The Only Woman in the Room, Eileen Pollack
- The Food Explorer, Daniel Stone
- The Poison Squad, Deborah Blum
- Inferior, Angela Saini
- Spying on Whales, Nick Pyenson
- Gulp, Mary Roach
- Eye of the Shoal, Helen Scales
- She Has Her Mother’s Laugh, Carl Zimmer
- Shaped by Wind and Water, Ann H. Zwinger
- Sightings, Brenda Peterson and Linda Hogan
- What the Robin Knows, Jon Young
- The Genius of Birds, Jennifer Ackerman
- Stuff Matters, Mark Miodownik
- Storm in a Teacup, Helen Czerski
- A Fish Caught in Time, Samantha Wienberg
- The Dragon Behind the Glass, Emily Voigt