I am a college student, science writer, and book reviewer. I started college as an English literature major but quickly fell in love with the sciences. Earlier this year, I was a 2018 undergraduate travel fellow with the National Association of Science Writers. I was also a 2017 travel fellow with the New York Academy of Sciences as part of their Next Scholars program supporting undergraduate women in STEM. Last summer, interned for Purdue University News as a science writer and now intend to pursue a career in science communication for research institutions. You can see some of my science writing clips below.
After growing up on the coast of Southern California, I moved to Oregon with my fiancé Matthew, a physics major, in 2017. I work full-time at a local bookstore dealing in used and rare books and will be finishing my degrees in English and microbiology at Oregon State University.
You can follow me on Twitter @ReadMoreScience where I tweet about books, science news, and advocate for women in STEM. In case you might be wondering, my favorite books are Lab Girl by Hope Jahren, Inferior by Angela Saini, I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong, and The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan.
Science Writing Clips
- Gods and Robots by Adrienne Mayor, book review for Science Magazine
- Forecasting model could predict which bills get passed, Purdue University press release
- Mapping the Brain with Data Science, Purdue University press release
- Purdue receives $2.6 million DOE grant for high-energy physics research, Purdue University press release
- Foodborne disease prevention next topic for Science on Tap, Purdue University press release
- Duke Energy Academy to bring hands-on STEM learning to students, teachers, Purdue University press release
- Losing the doubt: How scientists can make the change from “aspiring” to actual, Shenova Science Fashion blog guest post
- California models regulations on high-emission industries, NASW coverage of 2018 AAAS Meeting
- Imagining the Next 100 Years of Science and Technology, New York Academy of Sciences Magazine, Fall 2017 Issue